[P4-dev] nanolog problem

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Apr 10 14:55:18 EDT 2017

Hi,

bmv2 uses 2 nanomsg sockets:
1) the notifications socket (by
default ipc:///tmp/bmv2-<device-id>-notifications.ipc), which is used for
port events, learning notifications and table entry ageing notifications.
This is not used for logging.
2) the event logging socket (there is no default, it is disabled by
default).

It seems that you want to use the second one. In this case you need to
follow the instructions in the README (
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model#displaying-the-event-logging-messages
):
- start the switch with --nanolog ipc:///tmp/bmlog.ipc
- run nanomsg_client.py. *If the switch is run as root, this needs to be
run as root as well*, otherwise you will not see any messages. You do not
need to provide the nanomsg address (in this case ipc:///tmp/bmlog.ipc),
the client will retrieve it from the switch (assuming you are using the
default Thrift port).