[P4-dev] complex function like pattern matching

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Apr 11 12:42:58 EDT 2017

Hi,

Please see inline

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:41 AM, yunchen chang <y2924uki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Antonin:
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have another questions about primitives function.
>
> 1) Can I call any C++ functions? (like string compare etc)

Yes, why not? You can write any C++ code.

> 2) This https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-bm/blob/master/p4c_
> bm/primitives.json is uesd by p4 compiler to know the functions it have,
> am I right? But why there are only few functions in this file? Primitive
> functions of simple_switch (https://github.com/p4lang/
> behavioral-model/blob/master/targets/simple_switch/primitives.cpp) don't
> need to be known by compiler?

The standard primitives which are described in the P4_14 spec are in a
different location:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-hlir/blob/master/p4_hlir/frontend/primitives.json

> 3) Because I only see https://github.com/p4lang/
> p4c-bm/blob/master/p4c_bm/primitives.json this code. I want to know what
> the format of properties: types and data_width means.
> For example : modify_field_rng_uniform :
> "type" : ["field", "int", "table_entry_data"]
> and "data_width" : "dst"
> Are there any documents explain the information?

No document, just available examples.
In "type" you can list the acceptable types for a given parameter. Accepted
values are "field", "int" (for an literal constant), "table_entry_data"
(for integral values that come from action data), "header_instance",
"register", "counter", "meter",...
"data_width" is only required for parameters for which "table_entry_data"
is a possible type. This is needed to allocate the appropriate memory for
tables. It can either be an integer value, the name of another parameter
(which cannot itself be of type "table_entry_data") or a field reference.
In the case of "modify_field_rng_uniform" for example, parameters "begin"
and "end" can either be literal constants, field references or table action
data ("table_entry_data"). In the case where "begin" (or "end") comes from
table action data, the number of bits we allocate for it in a table entry
is determined by the bitwidth of the "dst" parameter, which is a field
reference.
In the following code:
table t_set_port {
    reads { ... }
    actions { set_port; }
}
action set_port(b, e) {
  modify_field_rng_uniform(standard_metadata.egress_spec /* 9 bit by
definition */, b, e);
}
Both "b" and "e" come from action data. They are assumed to be 9-bit, based
on the width for standard_metadata.egress_spec. This is different from
P4_16, where types for action parameters are explicit.