[P4-dev] Simulate FOR and/or WHILE cycles (p4-14)

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 11:49:34 EDT 2017

Arrays of structs would be nice for some things, for sure, as well as
loops, but given the design of some of the targets P4 is capable of writing
programs for (i.e. single chips forwarding packets at billions of packets
per second), the language has avoided constructs that would lead to
unbounded computation per packet.

Some hack-ish things you may consider trying:

Use a little Perl or Python program that has a loop, and use it to generate
repetitive P4 code.  For example, if you wish you had P4 code that looked
like this:

    for (i = 0; i < hdr.foo.some_field; i++) {
        meta.tmp = some expression;
        store meta.tmp in a P4 register at index base_value+i
    }

you could 'unroll' the loop like this:

    i = 0;
    if (0 < hdr.foo.some_field) {
        meta.tmp = some expression, where i is replaced with constant 0;
        store meta.tmp in a P4 register at index base_value+0
    }
    if (1 < hdr.foo.some_field) {
        meta.tmp = some expression, where i is replaced with constant 1;
        store meta.tmp in a P4 register at index base_value+1
    }

etc. repeating until i is some constant that you know is the largest
possible value for hdr.foo.some_field.

registers are the main construct that P4_14 has, and the open source
compiler and behavioral model for P4_16 has, for making storage that can be
both read and written while forwarding packets, but if you want to do that
at billions of packets per second, you better ask the maker of your chip
first before relying on those.  If you just want to do it in software
forwarding, the open source tools probably do what you need.

Andy