[P4-dev] A question about reconfiguration bmv2 dynamically.

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Apr 18 15:06:28 EDT 2017

Adding back the mailing list (my bad for removing it).

If you don't want to use the CLI, your options are limited right now. You
can use the bmv2 Thrift RPC API directly to swap the config:
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/blob/master/thrift_src/standard.thrift#L560
(this is the API that the CLI is implemented with). The problem with this
Thrift API is that it is not portable: your code will only work with bmv2.
We are working on a new protobuf / gRPC API (
https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/master/proto/p4/p4runtime.proto) but it
is still in the works and won't be ready for use for a while.