[P4-dev] P4 on hw

David Hancock dhancock at cs.utah.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:17:39 EDT 2017

We have some experience with Netronome's Agilio server cards.  It is
non-trivial to set up but there are decent instructions, tools, and
community/company support to help you get going.

In practice, the typical way to push code to the switch consists of 1)
developing your code in a P4 IDE (downloadable from their website) that
is likely running on a separate box (could be the same box though); 2)
compile/build with the appropriate hardware selected as the target; 3)
hit the button that gets it running on the hardware.  To make this work
you configure the IDE so it knows the IP address and port for the
service running on the card that accepts the binary image.  And then,
boom, it is up and running.

Of course, they also provide command line tools to do all of this.

Ultimately the process depends on the specific hardware, obviously, but
it seemed like you wanted to know what it might be like.  If you want
more technical details about what is happening, well, we can get into
that to some degree.  But like it might help you to understand that the
open source P4-HLIR tool is a front end compiler translating .p4 code
into a High Level Intermediate Representation, which can then be used by
a target-specific backend compiler to produce whatever the appropriate
final form is.  I reckon many P4-capable products out there make use of
P4-HLIR, though of course they don't have to.

--David