[P4-dev] layer 2 switch functionality

Vladimir Gurevich vladimir.gurevich at barefootnetworks.com
Sat Aug 12 10:36:30 EDT 2017

Hello Mostafa,

The program heavy_hitter.p4 does not include any L2 functionality by
design. It does include very basic IPv4 lpm forwarding, but you need to
program the tables accordingly. See
https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials/blob/master/SIGCOMM_2016/heavy_hitter/commands.txt
for an example how to do that.

In general, it is very important to understand that P4 programs do not have
any hidden functionality, they only do what you coded.

Happy hacking,
Vladimir

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:05 AM, Mostafa Abdallah. Ammar <
mostafaammar at aast.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Kindly I am trying the examples in https://github.com/p4lang/
> tutorials/tree/master/SIGCOMM_2016/heavy_hitter , I want the hosts to
> ping each other , but ping does not work at all. however switch starting
> normally.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Eng. Mostafa Abdallah Ammar,Msc.
> Head of Information Security Department
> CCIE security #23971
> Arab Academy For Science And Technology & maritime Transport
> Computer Networks & Data Center (CNDC)
> Mobile: 002 01001983674

*Vladimir Gurevich*

*Barefoot Networks*