[P4-dev] clarify nested struct support in P4-16?

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 20:24:10 EDT 2017

Related Github issues:

https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/342 - "Allow headers to contain
bit-vector structs".  Structs are currently disallowed as member fields
within headers by the P4_16 spec.

https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/383 - "Allow 'bit-vector structs'
to be used everywhere that type bit<W> can".  There is some discussion on
this issue about parts of that proposal that require non-trivial work in
the current open source P4 tools, e.g. allowing nested structs as a table
search key, or a parameter to an action of a table.

Andy