[P4-dev] clarify nested struct support in P4-16?

hemant at mnkcg.com hemant at mnkcg.com
Thu Aug 24 10:11:13 EDT 2017

Mihai,

Got it - thanks.

Hemant

From: Mihai Budiu [mailto:mbudiu at vmware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:11 PM
To: hemant at mnkcg.com; 'p4-dev lists.p4.org' <p4-dev at lists.p4.org>
Subject: RE: [P4-dev] clarify nested struct support in P4-16?

P4-16 allows nested structures to an arbitrary degree. Various targets and
back-ends may introduce additional restrictions. Some restrictions are due
to target limitations, and may never be lifted, some are due to code
immaturity in the compilers.

The bmv2 backend removes nested structs that do not appear in control apis
(arguments),because bmv does not support nested structs.  More work is
needed to remove the other ones. In principle ebpf does not need to remove
nested structs, because it generates c, which supports nested structs.
However, there are currently no tests with nested structs, so it is possible
that they don't work.

Mihai