[P4-dev] p4-validate warning message

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 12:26:13 EST 2017

If you are willing to share the P4 program that gives this warning, it
would be easier to give a definitive answer.

I am guessing this is a P4_14 program, not P4_16?  There are cases in P4_14
programs, especially for the definitions of actions, where because the
action parameters have no defined bit width, the compiler must try to infer
what they ought to be, based upon the operations they are used in within
that action.  If there are multiple different widths that could be
inferred, the warning could occur.  That, or it could be a compiler bug.
Here is a Github issue that might be related to what you are seeing:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/issues/1095

Andy