[P4-dev] Other L2 protocol in bmv2

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Sat Dec 30 00:11:19 EST 2017

Hi,

The behavioral model uses libpcap to send and receive packets.
If you use software interfaces (we use veth pairs by default) you should be
able to handle any kind of traffic, even custom protocols (we are talking
about a P4-programmable switch after all). I routinely send and process
totally arbitrary packets for testing. The source routing tutorial is a
good example of this:
https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials/tree/master/SIGCOMM_2015/source_routing.
If you are connecting a HW NIC to the behavioral model, you may need some
more work. For example it is recommended to disable all hardware offloading.