[P4-dev] detect port status changes in the dataplane?

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Fri Jul 7 15:25:18 EDT 2017

Hi Rohan,

The <dest_field> would be the metadata field were you want to write the
port status (I imagine it would be 0 for down and 1 for up). In other words
query_port_status(<dest_field>, <port_number>) is logically equivalent to
something like <dest_field> = port_status(<port_number>).
This thread covers how to define your own primitive actions:
http://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-dev_lists.p4.org/2017-April/000884.html

However, I am not convinced that your approach is sound. I am not sure what
your end goal is exactly. If you are looking at routing protocols, the port
status information provided by bmv2 may not be sufficient. You usually want
to use something like BFD to detect link failures.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Roshan Se <roshan.sedar at student.uclouvain.be