[P4-dev] P4 support for PCAP

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 03:30:39 EDT 2017

On 11 July 2017 at 00:05, Antonin Bas <antonin at barefootnetworks.com> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> For bmv2, you just have to use the "--pcap" command-line flag. It will
> generate a pcap file for each interface connected to the bmv2 switch.
> Regarding the other 2, doesn't the DPDK framework has built-in support for
> this using pdump
> (http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-16.07/sample_app_ug/pdump.html)?
>
> Best,
>
> Antonin

Hi Antonin,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am after the ability to parse packets and if for example there is a
problem (bad checksum, didn't match any of the known headers in the
parse tree etc.) then save/append that packet to a PCAP file for later
review to see where the packet has come from on the network

Is it possible to perhaps create a "dummy" logical interface on an x86
host, have the P4 program forward only packets received on a physical
interface that I want to save and review, to that logical interface
and use the --pcap arg you have mentioned only on that interface?

Cheers,
James.