[P4-dev] How to dynamically set egress output port

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 15:11:02 EDT 2017

In general, if you can think of a way to create a table in P4 that some
control plane software can set up its contents before packets arrive
(occasionally needing updating if port speeds change, ports go down, come
back up, etc.) that can be apply()'d in your P4 program to help it
determine which output port to use, that would probably be more efficient
than a long if-then-else-if sequence of statements in the P4 program.

It isn't clear to me what _method_ you are hoping to use for dynamically
selecting an egress port for a packet, so I don't have any concrete
suggestions for what kind of P4 table to create for your method.

Andy