[P4-dev] How to dynamically set egress output port

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Fri Jul 14 17:34:29 EDT 2017

Hi Eric,

You are confusing port speed configuration with link utilization I think.
The switchapi snippet lists all the supported port speeds. An application
using switchapi can use this to configure ports on the device. Note that
port speed configuration is completely out of scope of the P4 language. But
this is different from link utilization... For example a 40Gbps port can be
transmitting at 30Gbps and the link is utilized at 75%.
It seems that what you are trying to do is adapt your routing algorithm to
link utilization. There is no standard way in P4 to access live link
utilization. You may have a hardware target that exposes this information
to your program (e.g. through a P4_16 extern). You may also find a way to
approximate this number by using a moving average and by using stateful
registers, but that's actually pretty hard (no division...).

I think you need to make sure you understand the scope of P4 as well as
what switchapi is. switchapi is part of a control plane stack that was
written specifically for switch.p4, which is one example of a P4 program.
In your question, you ask how to call a switchapi method for the P4 code,
which doesn't make sense.