[P4-dev] Setup ideal for experiments meant for SIGCOMM papers

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:59:09 EDT 2017

What do you intend to test via your P4 testing environment?  Correctness of
the P4 programs?  Performance of control plane updates?  Performance of
packet forwarding?

If it is the performance of packet forwarding, then please realize that
while the behavioral-model code does have some amount of performance tuning
in it, the primary use case for it is debugging and testing of your P4
programs.  There are NPU-based, FPGA-based, and ASIC-based P4-programmable
environments that can forward packets several orders of magnitude faster
than it can.

Andy