[P4-dev] Setup ideal for experiments meant for SIGCOMM papers

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:30:59 EDT 2017

I am not aware of any "P4 fraternity".  Just realize that there can be as
many, or more, reasons for getting different packet forwarding performance
across P4-programmable devices as there are for getting different program
execution performance across different CPU families (e.g. x86, ARM,
PowerPC, MIPS, etc.).  I would expect the control plane update rate to
depend heavily not only on what the P4 target device was, and its
driver/support software, but also on the transport layer protocol (e.g.
protobufs, Thrift, etc.) and probably several other factors.

I would expect that whether your paper is accepted for publication would
have more to do with the novelty and expected impact of your ideas.  For
example, if the primary content of the paper was "here is a P4 program I
wrote that does a subset of what the open source switch.p4 program does
[1], which has been published for years, and some measurements of control
plane update and packet forwarding rates, run on some open source programs
written and published by others [2] [3]", then I would expect most academic
reviewers would find that to have too little original content to be worth
accepting.

If the primary content of the paper was "Here is a P4 program that
optimizes common application X by a factor of 10x, in a way that we have
never seen published before", then P4 becomes simply one implementation
approach for your original ideas, not the 'meat' of the paper, and they are
likely to look more favorably on it.

Andy

[1] https://github.com/p4lang/switch/tree/master/p4src
[2] https://github.com/p4lang/p4c