[P4-dev] [P4_16] [copy_to_cpu] how to drop packet payload only

Hu Dingyuan h-dy at outlook.com
Wed Jun 14 00:12:15 EDT 2017

Thanks Antonin!
I have no idea about buffer the packet.

But for drop packet payload, I have an idea.

Can I define the payload as a special header, and don’t emit it in deparser?

header payload_t{
       varbit<9000> content;
}

---
Dingyuan

From: Antonin Bas <antonin at barefootnetworks.com>
Date: Tuesday, 13 June 2017 at 02:54
To: Dingyuan <h-dy at outlook.com>
Cc: P4-dev <p4-dev at lists.p4.org>
Subject: Re: [P4-dev] [P4_16] [copy_to_cpu] how to drop packet payload only

Hi,

Encapsulating a packet is easy, you just need to define additional header instances and write your deparser code appropriately.

If you only want to send some packet header values to the control-plane, then you may consider using learning instead of something like packet-in. v1model.p4 includes the "digest" extern method (https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/blob/master/p4include/v1model.p4#L113). digest is a good way to achieve mac address learning for example. It enables you to select some field values that you wish to transmit to a "receiver". The notion of "receiver" is not well-defined. It could be a control-plane receiver or it could be pure hardware learning in some targets. In the case of bmv2 simple_switch, the "receiver" is always a nanomsg PUB/SUB channel (http://nanomsg.org/). Using "digest" can be a little involved from a control-plane perspective though, so if you are just starting to experiment with P4, I would highly recommend not starting with it. At this time, I do not consider using "digest" in a P4 program to be very portable.

The most popular way of sending packet to the control-plane IMO is to clone your original packet, encapsulate the copy in the desired headers and send it to your control-plane "port". If you really want to discard the packet payload, maybe you could try using truncate on the clone (https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/blob/master/p4include/v1model.p4#L141).

Regarding your last question, no packet buffering capability is exposed to the P4 programmer by default. v1model.p4 does expose stateful registers, so in theory one may be able to do use that.
An implementation of "digest" may choose to buffer field values until a timeout or until a control-plane request comes, but this is definitely out of the scope of P4.
Your question is pretty vague and it may help if you told us exactly what you are trying to achieve, maybe with a mix of P4_16 code and pseudocode.