[P4-dev] Difference among p4c, p4c-bm2-ss, p4c-bmv2 ??

Rui Miguel rmiguel at lasige.di.fc.ul.pt
Wed Jun 14 10:36:02 EDT 2017

Hi! I'll give a brief answer to the best of my knowledge; others may be able to elaborate further. :)

p4c is short for p4compiler. p4c-bm2-ss is the part of the p4 compiler (p4c) that compiles for the behavioral model 2 (bm2), specifically for the simple_switch (ss) target.
Under your behavioral-model directory, there's a folder called "targets". Inside it, you will find several targets, one of which is simple_switch. If you look inside, you will find a file named main.cpp, hinting that this is the component that actually runs and gets stuff done. The remaining of behavioral model 2 is a C++ library that the targets use.

Now, there are two versions of the P4 language: P4-14 and P4-16.
- p4c-bmv2 is the official compiler for P4-14.
- p4c is a new compiler that also compiles P4-16, while retaining the ability to compile P4-14 programs.

simple_nat.p4 is written in P4-14, so you managed to compile it using either one. ipv4_forward.p4 is written in P4-16, therefore you had no choice but to compile it using p4c-bm2-ss.

Both P4 compilers produce a .json as output. This .json is fed to the simple_switch. So long as the simple_switch understands the.json file, it will run.

Happy programming,
~Rui Miguel