[P4-dev] Implementing externs

Rui Miguel rmiguel at lasige.di.fc.ul.pt
Fri May 5 13:42:04 EDT 2017

Greetings!

After briefly analyzing the JSON representation of an extern declaration, I'm wondering where to implement extern functionality. I imagine there's a C++ class that can be extended? Is it plausible to use the v1model.p4 architecture along with an extern block declared in my header definitions file? (I suppose for hardware targets the P4 programmer shouldn't be declaring externs of his own, but is it legit to change v1model?)

This comes after an attempt to study the project files, but for someone who isn't much into C++, compilers or the project itself, things look a tad cryptic overall.

Thanks in advance,
~ Rui Miguel