[P4-dev] Configure bmv2

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Thu May 18 20:18:34 EDT 2017

These flags don't have any impact on how bmv2 or simple_switch are
compiled, but they conditionally compile and install libraries which
implement the pdfixed or the PI library for bmv2. Use --with-pdfixed if you
intend to build a control plane which uses the PD; it will install the
pdfixed headers (under <prefix>/bm/pdfixed/) and it will install
libbmpdfixed. Use --with-pi if you intend to build a control plane which
uses the PI. Although at the moment this is probably better not to use this
flag as the code is experimental. Instead you can pass '--with-bmv2' when
compiling the PI repo code and you will get a different implementation of
the PI interface for bmv2, one which has been more thoroughly tested and
uses simple_switch instead of simple_switch_grpc.