[P4-dev] Generating packets using switch target

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Fri May 19 12:47:18 EDT 2017

Hi

There is no packet generator in v1model.p4 or in bmv2 simple_switch, so you
cannot generate packets in the dataplane using these. This is outside of
the scope of the P4 spec and depends on the architecture you are using.
There have been talks of exposing a packet generator extern in the Portable
Switch Architecture (PSA), but I do not know if it will be part of the
initial PSA release. If you are using a P4 API that supports packet-in /
packet-out, you could inject these probes from the control-plane, which may
be sufficient for you.