[P4-dev] PSA on BMv2

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 14:44:05 EST 2017

I am not aware of anyone working on implementing the PSA architecture on
bmv2 at this moment, other than Han Wang at Barefoot Networks starting on
an implementation of parser value sets in the p4c compiler.

The PSA specification was released in early draft form earlier this month
(Nov 2017), but definitely still needs a bit more work before we get to
version 1.0.  I hope we release a v1.0 of that spec by Jan 2018.  I expect
work to begin on adding support for PSA in bmv2 and the p4c compiler around
that time.

The good news is that most of the PSA externs are, by design, compatible
with P4_14 built-in constructs such as counters, meters, and registers.
There are likely enough small and medium-sized differences that it could
take 3 to 6 months before an open source PSA implementation is complete --
the biggest unknown factor in my estimate is the time availability of
people with the relevant knowledge to make the changes.

Andy