[P4-dev] connecting mininet tside networkto ou

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Oct 9 11:48:55 EDT 2017

Hi,

I see 2 possibilities here:
1. The simplest solution may be to add OpenFlow switches in front of your
P4 switches, and have a GRE tunnel between them:
h1 --- P4 switch --- OVS === gre === OVS --- P4 switch --- h2
or
h1 --- P4 switch --- OVS === gre === xenserver switch
2. If you do not want to have extra OpenFlow switches in the network, but
want to have a GRE tunnel between the P4 switch and a fixed-function /
OpenFlow switch, you will need to add GRE tunneling support (initiation and
termination) to your P4 program. As an example, I believe switch.p4 (
https://github.com/p4lang/switch/tree/master/p4src) supports GRE. It should
not be to hard to write a P4 program which does L2 switching and supports
GRE. You will probably need to add entries to a few tables in your program
to setup the GRE tunnel; if you are familiar with the bmv2 simple_switch
CLI, you could probably use that to experiment.