[P4-dev] Extending P4Runtime demo to support multiple P4 programs

Miguel Neves mcneves at inf.ufrgs.br
Sat Oct 21 15:24:43 EDT 2017

Hi Antonin

Thanks for your reply. I tried to run the demo compiling P4 programs
from the P4D2_2017_Spring tutorial. There was a segmentation fault for
every bmv2 JSON when trying to read a table specification.

More specifically, I think the issue is in the "read_tables" function at
the "bmv2_json_reader.c" file (
https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/b8d937fa72650eb6ec57d2e5755e0c9103fa995f/src/config_readers/bmv2_json_reader.c
).

Any idea?

Best,

Miguel

On 10/17/2017 01:13 PM, Antonin Bas wrote:
> Hi Miguel,
>
> I believe that you are confusing the bmv2 JSON with the P4Info message
> in JSON format:
> - the bmv2 JSON: a JSON description of the forwarding pipeline, which
> is required by the bmv2 simple_switch packet-processing binary
> - the P4Info message: a protobuf message which describes the
> data-model to be used by the control-plane when generating P4 Runtime
> requests. Although the compiler lets you generate this in JSON format
> by using "--p4runtime-format json", we scarcely use JSON for this: we
> usually prefer the "text" format.
>
> You should try running:
> p4c-bm2-ss <p4_program> --p4-16 -o out.json
> and use out.json instead in SimpleRouterMgr.
>
> Unfortunately, this demo is not super recent, so it's still trying to
> generate the P4Info from the bmv2 JSON instead of using the one
> generated by the compiler (which is why I didn't include
> --p4runtime-file in the compiler invocation above). It should work
> anyway, but please do let us know if you run into an issue, and
> hopefully the demo will be updated in the upcoming weeks.
>
> Best,
>
> Antonin
>

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Miguel Neves <mcneves at inf.ufrgs.br
> <mailto:mcneves at inf.ufrgs.br>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     I'm trying to extendthe P4Runtime demo (
>     https://github.com/p4lang/PI/tree/master/proto/demo_grpc
>     <https://github.com/p4lang/PI/tree/master/proto/demo_grpc> ) to
>     supportother P4 programs in addition to the ones provided. I'm
>     aware that I need to modify the SimpleRouterMgr class (
>     https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/master/proto/demo_grpc/simple_router_mgr.h
>     <https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/master/proto/demo_grpc/simple_router_mgr.h>)
>     to insert a separate configuration for each program.
>
>     The problem raises when I try to assign a new device
>     configuration. I'm getting a “Json version requirement not
>     satisfied”message independently of the program I try to install.
>     After that, I cannot install any table entry.
>
>     I've generated the necessary P4 info using the following command:
>
>     |p4c-bm2-ss <p4_program> --p4-16 -o <output_file>
>     --p4runtime-file|<p4info_file>|--p4runtime-format||json|
>
>     |I compared the generated jsons against the simple_router
>     ||example (
>     https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/master/proto/demo_grpc/simple_router.json
>     <https://github.com/p4lang/PI/blob/master/proto/demo_grpc/simple_router.json>
>     )||, and in fact the compiler doesn't add a version tag to the file.|
>
>     |Any idea?|Should the compiler add that tag?
>
>     |Thanks,|
>     |Miguel|

Miguel Neves
PhD student in Computer Science
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS)
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~mcneves/