[P4-dev] Send a message to the control plane

Dingyuan Hu h-dy at outlook.com
Mon Oct 23 09:07:23 EDT 2017

Hi Garegin Grigoryan,
I think send_to_cpu is just try encapsulation the origin packet with new packet and forward it to your application. Then you can analysis the packet and add entries.

If you use bmv2 as switch, you can start it using following command.
Your p4 program send packet to 3 and  your control plane application need to listen on port `cpu-port`.
```
simple_switch -i 1 at s1-eth1 -i 2 at s1-eth2 -i 3 at cpu-port --pcap --thrift-port 9090 --nanolog ipc:///tmp/bm-0-log.ipc --device-id 0 <your-p4-code>.p4.json --log-console
```

If you want to do something like “Packet-Out” in OpenFlow, just send packet to `cpu-port` and make sure your P4 program can handle packet from port 3.

Best Regards,
Dingyuan Hu