[P4-dev] Start with separate configuration files

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Oct 24 15:39:51 EDT 2017

Hi,

According to this issue (https://github.com/p4lang/p4app/issues/39), p4app
cannot be used to create a topology of switches running different P4
dataplanes.
However, it is pretty easy to do this when writing your own mininet Python
topology script. Just use the P4Switch class (
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/blob/master/mininet/p4_mininet.py#L52)
and when adding switches (like here:
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/blob/master/mininet/1sw_demo.py#L50)
provide the appropriate json_path for each switch. For example:

switch1 = self.addSwitch('s1', sw_path = <path to bmv2 simple_switch
binary>, json_path = dataplane1.json, thrift_port = 9091)
switch2 = self.addSwitch('s2', sw_path = <path to bmv2 simple_switch
binary>, json_path = dataplane2.json, thrift_port = 9092)

The different JSON files must be generated from the different P4 programs
using the compiler.