[P4-dev] Multiple P4Runtime controllers with different roles

cs.lev cs.lev at gmx.com
Fri Aug 3 04:59:23 EDT 2018

Dear All,

I have read in the P4Runtime specification that multiple controllers
can connect to the same switch (not just considering backup
controllers), and by means of role_ids different controllers can have
different view/access to the P4 pipeline.
For instance, two match+action tables are defined, but none of the
controllers could control both; one of them is responsible for the
first one, while the other controller controls the second one.

I have seen that this role_id should be exchanged/defined between the
P4Runtime server and client, so it's not possible for a controller to
just simply define its role, naturally.

I would like to examine this feature, but I have not found any useful
information about how to set this role_id in the .p4 program (for a
table ?, action ?, pipeline ?, parser?).

Can you give me some pointers?

Thank you,
cslev