[P4-dev] Multiple P4Runtime controllers with different roles

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Aug 6 13:49:34 EDT 2018

Hi,

Partitioning / sharding of P4 objects is an important feature and we made
sure that the P4Runtime design accommodated for this.
I can think of several valid ways to define a role for a given controller.
For P4Runtime v1.0, we chose *not to standardize any role definition scheme* (I
just realized that this was not called-out explicitly in the spec, so I'll
make sure this is added for our next 1.0.0 release candidate). This also
means that the reference P4Runtime implementation (p4lang/PI) does not
support any scheme for partitioning. The standardization of one (possible)
mechanism for defining roles is definitely on the timeline for the P4 API
WG (along with support in the reference implementation), but that will not
be available for a while. It is likely that this will come in the form of a
companion document, and not as part of the P4Runtime spec itself.