[P4-dev] p4runtime (related to dev-day python code) error

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Jan 30 16:39:30 EST 2018

My best guess: you are not providing a device_id to the
Bmv2SwitchConnection constructor which means it will default to 0 for both
instances (https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials/blob/master/P4D2_2017_
Fall/exercises/p4runtime/p4runtime_lib/switch.py#L22).
This means that for the second switch, the device_id will not match the
actual device_id used to start the bmv2 simple_switch_grpc process (
https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials/blob/master/P4D2_
2017_Fall/utils/p4runtime_switch.py#L70). The tutorial VM uses an older
version of bmv2 so it doesn't matter but *more recent versions check that
both device ids match*.
If you provide the correct device_id arguments to Bmv2SwitchConnection (at
least for s2), it will hopefully solve the issue:
s1 = p4runtime_lib.bmv2.Bmv2SwitchConnection(‘s1', address=‘127.0.0.1:50051’,
device_id=0)
s2 = p4runtime_lib.bmv2.Bmv2SwitchConnection(‘s2', address=‘127.0.0.1:50052’,
device_id=1)

I would recommend opening an issue with the tutorials repository - you can
point to this email thread - so that this is fixed for the next Developers
Day.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Zeeshan Lakhani <zeeshan.lakhani at gmail.com