[P4-dev] Potential contributions to extern functionality

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Sep 27 04:19:44 EDT 2018

Hi Isaac,

Yes, please try to submit your features as separate pull requests.
Also before submitting a patch, please ask yourself these questions:
- does it belong in the core library (bm_sim) and can be used by several /
most architectures, or is it architecture specific?
- does it slow down packet processing for P4 programs that do not utilize
the new feature?
- if adding a feature to simple_switch, it is something that is required by
the P4_16 v1model architecture - or at least compatible with it?

For example, 3) (timer) seems like a good candidate for the bmv2 core
library, providing that it is implemented in such a way that there is no
penalty for programs that do not require it.

Looking forward to review your PRs.

Antonin