[P4-dev] An interactive shell for P4Runtime

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Apr 16 23:01:10 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been working on an interactive
shell for P4Runtime based on IPython. I have pushed the first version here:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4runtime-shell
It is really meant to be a shell, and not a CLI. It may be less intuitive
than the bmv2 runtime_CLI to use but it is meant to be more powerful and to
enable a more programmatic approach.

It is still very much a work in progress, but of course I appreciate any
early feedback.

It currently supports:
 * establishing a stream channel with the P4Runtime server
 * retrieving the P4Info from the server (or alternatively it can push a
new forwarding pipeline config)
 * inspecting the P4Info
 * Table entry programming

Let me know if some features (e.g. reading counters?) are important to you
and maybe they can be prioritized.