[P4-dev] p4lang/third-party

Frédéric LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Fri Feb 22 11:11:28 EST 2019

Hi experts,

We are working on a R&E project that will involve (among various objectives) p4 Software Development Environment set up using p4lang project tools.
(p4c, bmv2 etc.) We started to work on some packages and therefore we have some questions.
We might have more questions so let me know if I’m on the right mailing list. :-)

In our building process, we followed p4app approach.

In that purpose we started to analyse the various Dockerfile and landed in the 3rd party folder here:
https://github.com/p4lang/third-party

Assumptions:
1- For now our target is Debian buster, we will for sure adapt the process for ubuntu is this is not too complex.
2- Long term goal: If successful and satisfying enough, we might ask Debian project to add these packages into the mainstream tree.
3- As a first steps, let’s focus only on the 3rd party repository. Building BMv2 targets and p4c will then be easier.

Here is the list of dependancies listed in 3rd party docker file : (and what we have done so far)

* cchache
  Need: accelerate compilation duration by caching operations
  p4lang: it uses 3.3
  Buster: cache 3.6-1
  We plan to use buster 3.6-1 which is ( > 3.3 )
  It uses memcached
  -> so what can be done is using existing buster source deb and rebuild a packet with memcached trigger (not essential but TO BE DONE)

* scapy
   Need: used by ptf
   p4lang: it uses v2.2.0-dev and modified version made by BAREFOOT
   Buster: v2.4.0
   Last version of scapy have improved header (MPLS for example)
  -> we plan to reuse Buster 2.4.0 package and reuse it to build 2.4.2 as a base (—> DONE)

* PTF
   p4lang: It is a p4lang project
   Need: need scapy with additional header
   Buster: <no package>
   -> we plan build ptf package  (—> DONE)
   One remark I had from one of our openSource expert is to port ptf to python3 (it refused to be installed using python3)
   It was mentioned that python 2.7 support end end of 2020.

* nanomsg
   p4lang: It uses v1.1.0 (SOVERSION is 5.0.0)
   Buster: 1.1.5
  —> we plan to use nanomsg from the official BUSTER repository (-> DONE)

* nnpy
   p4lang: It uses an old RC version (tree 096998834451219ee7813d8977f6a4027b0ccb43)
   Buster: <no package>
   -> we plan build nnpy 1.4.2 package  (—> TO BE DONE)

* thrift
   p4lang: It uses v0.9.2
   Buster: v0.11.0
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: v0.11.0 (TO BE DONE)

* protobuf
   p4lang:  v3.2.0
   Buster: v3.6.1
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: v3.6.1 (TO BE DONE)

* protobuf-c
   p4lang:  v3.2.0
   Buster: v3.6.1
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: v3.6.1 (TO BE DONE)

* python-protobuf
   p4lang:v3.2.0
   Buster: v3.6.1
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: v3.6.1 (TO BE DONE)

* grpc
  p4lang:  v1.3.2
  Buster: v1.6.4 (not sure here)
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: v1.6.4 (not sure here) (TO BE DONE)

* libyang
  p4lang: v0.16-r1
  Buster: 0.16.105-1
   -> we plan to use the official version in Buster: 0.16.105-1

* sysrepo
  p4lang: v0.7.5
  Buster: <no package>
  -> we plan build ptf package  (—> TO BE DONE DONE)

The questions are:

- Do you think we can use the distro (here BUSTER) package ?
For sysrepo/nnpy packages have to be built. The tricky packages are the one depending on openssl and related to graph and thrift.
According to your experience what is your feedback regarding compilation against these dependencies ? Is it something set on stone ?

In order to move forward, we plan to build p4lang containers using as much as possible the package above (so also the package we built )
in order to validate them.

PS1: Once built we will of course contribute back to p4lang and if it make sense provide additional support for other Debian like OS.
       We started weith BUSTER because our expert who is helping us is an exclusive debian BUSTER.
       Also it gives us an understanding of the whole p4lang suite dependancies.

PS2: I would like to thank Andy Fingerhut and Edgar Costa for they repository. I learned a lot from them.

Thanks in advance for your help then :)

All the best,

Have a good week end & "À bientôt",
--  Frederic