[P4-dev] p4lang/third-party

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Fri Feb 22 14:17:24 EST 2019

Salut Frederic,

I think it's a great idea to build Debian packages for the p4lang software,
especially if the packages end up in the official distribution repositories
and especially if your organization is volunteering to maintain them :) I'm
a Ubuntu user myself so obviously I'm more biased towards that distribution.
Some information that may be useful:
- currently the most used p4lang repositories are p4c, bmv2 and PI AFAIK.
These projects are used in particular for the P4 tutorials (orchestrated by
p4app and run inside a Docker image), so you should focus on these
- a lot of the dependencies are actually optional. For example, the
tutorials use the bmv2 simple_switch target, *which does not require Thrift*.
So a bmv2 Debian package without Thrift support would still be very useful.
Similarly *sysrepo is optional* - used to run a gNMI service in
simple_switch_grpc - and I would omit it at first. That applies to libyang
as well, since it is only used by sysrepo. Nanomsg is also optional and is
used to run the bmv2 debugger (p4dbg.py), but it seems that there is a
package available in your Debian distribution so maybe it is not too much
trouble (except for nnpy).
- speaking as the maintainer for bmv2 & PI, I am open to modifications to
the code to get it working with more recent versions of the dependencies
(protobuf, grpc, nanomsg, ...), *as long as the code still works with the
older versions references in p4lang/third-party*. Ideally support for more
recent versions of the libraries would be tested in CI, but that may be too
much to ask and the testing matrix may become too complex.
- I also welcome changes to the Python scripts to make them work with
python 3, as long as backward-compatibility with Python 2.7 is not broken

(As a remainder, your organization needs to be a p4.org member in order for
you to contribute code to p4lang)

Please let me know if you have questions.

Antonin