[P4-dev] on the cloning primitive in the simple switch

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 22:00:46 EDT 2019

i) While it is true that the intent of the clone operations is that I2E is
only invoked during ingress processing, and E2E is only invoked during
egress processing, I would not be surprised at all if the latest p4c and
behavioral-model code give no error if your try to invoke them in the wrong
places.  There are several kinds of specific-to-the-v1model-architecture
consistency checks that are now made by the v1model-specific parts of p4c,
but likely this is not one of them, at least not yet.

ii) If a cloned packet is going through ingress first, that sounds like a
bug to me.  I do not recall seeing that behavior in my testing of clone
operations with p4c and behavioral-model.  If you have a test case
demonstrating this (i.e. full P4 program, command used to compile it, any
table entries you added or other control plane configuration done, and a
test packet to send in), I could take a look.  I would recommend testing
your code with the latest versions of p4c and behavioral-model, too, just
in case something has been fixed there since whatever version you have been
using, but I do not recall any changes made in that area for the last year
or so.

iii) I would not be surprised at all if timestamp values were 0 for cloned
packets, given the current behavioral-model code.  You could try filing an
issue on the p4lang/behavioral-model project and we can find out whether
that is considered a bug worth fixing, or the expected behavior.  It seems
to me certainly more useful if ingress_timestamp and egress_timestamp were
always equal to the last time that a packet began ingress/egress processing.

Similarly for packet_length in a cloned packet.  I would not be surprised
if for several types of packets (maybe some others besides cloned packets,
even), that packet_length may be 0 given the current behavioral-model
implementation.

I would guess that the issues above are independent of the bug that
sometimes does not preserve metadata with recirculated, resubmitted, and
cloned packets.

iv)  I have not yet tested configuring a clone session of simple_switch to
be a multicast group id, but I believe Antonin Bas has implemented support
for that.  I do not know if there is a simple_switch_CLI command to enable
configuring that, or not.  Perhaps it can be configured via the P4Runtime
API in the simple_switch_grpc process, but might not yet be implemented
from the Thrift API and/or simple_switch_CLI.

Andy