[P4-dev] Questions concerning BMv2

hemant at mnkcg.com hemant at mnkcg.com
Thu May 7 09:32:38 EDT 2020

Michael,

Regarding item 2, please read the documentation for bmv2 here:
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/blob/master/docs/runtime_CLI.md

Search on the page for “multicast” and you will see the reference to
v1model.p4 which restricts the multicast id to 16 bits.  I think, v1model.p4
is frozen for any change.  If you play with p4c and the bmv2 switch in your
private sandbox, you will have to change both p4c and the behavioral-model.
See p4c/p4include/psa.p4 which uses 32 bits for multicast id.  However, the
simple_switch for PSA is work in progress and may not support all features
that v1model.p4 simple_switch supports.

Hemant