[P4-discuss] p4lang/p4c-behavioral

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Oct 17 19:54:20 EDT 2016

p4c-behavioral is the initial version of the behavioral model (also called
bmv1). It would compile the P4 code to C code. The C code could then be
compiled with gcc to obtain a switch executable.
p4c-behavioral is being deprecated in favor of bmv2 (
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model) and we don't provide support
for it any more (except for existing bug fixes). Our reasons for
deprecating p4c-behavioral are listed here:
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model#why-did-we-need-bmv2-
Fell free to try out p4c-behavioral if you want. The p4factory repository
still supports it and you can follow these instructions:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4factory#quickstart