[P4-discuss] (Help) Questions about blog "Improving Network Monitoring and Management with Programmable Data Planes"

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:19:50 EST 2017

My understanding is that whether a particular P4 target architecture
supports visibility into such information about the queue depths and link
utilizations can vary from P4 target to P4 target.  It is not guaranteed by
the language to be available for all of them (nor even are the presence of
queues guaranteed by the language, e.g. programmable NIC cards might not
have any).

I don't have access to details about current P4 capable switch ASICs, but I
would guess that Barefoot's Tofino ASIC family gives such visibility.

Andy