[P4-discuss] Doubts after my first try on p4lang

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 22:24:50 EDT 2017

Yousong:

P4_14 is the name of the first version of the P4 language, originally
published in or near 2014.

P4_16 is the name of the second version of the P4 language, originally
published as a draft late in 2016, with version 1.0.0 published in May 2017.

The P4_14 language spec had a few corrections and clarifications published
only recently, to bring it closer to how the language actually was
implemented by multiple people.  However, the expectation is that P4_16
will represent the majority of future implementations of the language.

If you encounter a P4 program, the quickest way to tell whether you are
dealing with a P4_14 or P4_16 is that if you see bit<5> and bit<10> in
header definitions, or assignments inside of actions that look like C
assignments, then it is a P4_16 program.  If you see headers with
"field_name : 5" and "field_name : 10", and actions with
"modify_field(dest_field, value);" in them, then it is a P4_14 program.

I have a p4-guide repository here [1] that may help give something of an
overview of how the repositories relate to each other, and which are
'deprecated' or not (although their top level README should also state if
they are deprecated).

Going forward, the p4lang/p4c repository contains a compiler for both P4_14
and P4_16 programs.  The p4lang/behavioral-model repository contains the
source code for 'bmv2', which stands for behavioral model version 2, which
can emulate any P4_14 or P4_16 program after it has been compiled with
p4lang/p4c (or one of the older compilers that can only handle P4_14 source
code).  They are still in a state where some P4_16 features are not fully
implemented yet.

This may not address all of your questions, but it should be a good start.

[1] https://github.com/jafingerhut/p4-guide

Andy