[P4-discuss] Can we start a new flow from p4 switch?

Debobroto Das Robin drobin at kent.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:43:43 EDT 2017

Andy, Thanks a lot for the reply.

1) The digest mechanism is obviously a new direction to me. I was reading
the P4_16 specs and there was no "digest" keyword. Then i moved to version
1.0.3 and found the digest mechanism. Is the digest mechanism available in
P4 16? In case of digest, generate_digest  will not initiate a new flow. It
basically generates a reply after processing a packet. (if my understanding
are correct)

2) I know about clone based mechanism.

Let me explain my question a little bit more detail. Think about an
openflow like protocol. Here both the controller and switch can initiate
communication toward each other. Now if we want to achieve this kind of
switch initiated communication (i.e. new flow), what would be the best
technique in P4  ?

Robin