[P4-discuss] Can we start a new flow from p4 switch?

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 16:11:29 EDT 2017

Regarding your point 1)

The digest mechanism does not generate a packet that goes out a 'normal'
port.  It generates a message in some implementation-specific form that
goes to the control plane software.

Features like counters, meters, registers, digest, recirculate, resubmit,
clone, action profiles and selectors, were all part of the P4_14 base
language, and thus you find them in the P4_14 language specification
documents and the open source implementations, including the 1.0.3 you
mention, which is most likely v1.0.3 of the P4_14 language spec.

Those features were intentionally separated into 'extern's in P4_16, so are
not part of the base language specification.  There is a PSA (Portable
Switch Architecture) document being worked on now, the latest draft is here
[1], which defines those things for switches.  The digest mechanism in PSA
is something that still isn't quite nailed down yet, and I don't know the
current state of the open source tools on P4_16 and the digest mechanism.

Most things in P4 assume a model of "specify what the P4-programmable
device does when it receives a packet".  There isn't anything in it that
says "spontaneously wake up and start generating traffic".  Now if you took
a P4-programmable device and added a mechanism, not specified in P4, that
caused packets with particular contents to be sent to the P4-programmable
device, e.g. based upon timer events firing, or from control plane
software, then that combined system could be made to act as if the
P4-programmable device was initiating flows to the rest of the world, but
the P4-programmable part would still only be specifying how it reacts to
packets when it receives them.  Hopefully I explained that in an
understandable way.

I am not familiar enough with how an openflow switch can initiate
communication to other devices, so could be missing something here.

Andy

[1] https://p4lang.github.io/p4-spec/   (look for the links to the PSA
document -- remember, still in draft form right now)