[P4-discuss] Couple of questions on BMv2 and P4Runtime

Tomasz Osiński osinstom at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 05:46:52 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

Our team at Orange Poland continue research work on P4 and technologies
around. We would like to ask two questions to properly design our PoC:

1) We want to use BMv2 as a virtual switch for PoC. However, there is a
requirement to dynamically modify pipeline confiugration at runtime. Is it
possible without P4Runtime-capable BMv2 switch, using standard BMv2?

2) Regarding P4Runtime I assume it is possible to dynamically re-program
switch pipeline. Is there any Python library to programmatically control
P4Runtime-capable BMv2 switch? Also, is there a similar library for
standard BMv2 configuration?

Thanks,
Tomek