[P4-discuss] [P4-design] [P4-Apps] Announcement: 1st P4 European Workshop on Sept 24, 2018

Nate Foster jnfoster at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Jul 17 16:52:09 EDT 2018

[Moving to the P4 Discuss list only]

Hi Daniel,

The close proximity of the two dates is indeed a bit unfortunate.

We decided to go ahead with the P4-EU date for a few reasons. First,
co-locating with an academic conference (ICNP) simplified the local
arrangements and also may help bring new people into the P4 community.
Second, we had an enthusiastic local organizer (Noa) who was willing to
volunteer her time to put on the event. Third, there is no real conflict:
there are direct flights from Stansted to Amsterdam late on the 24th so it
should be feasible to attend both events.

As someone who has organized several conferences, I can tell you that no
date is ever perfect. A diverse group like the P4 community draws people
from many different backgrounds and if we took the intersection of
everyone's conflicts, it would be impossible to schedule any meeting. For
example, during the third week of September, I'll be attending the Grace
Hopper Conference. I'll be skipping ICFP / Strangeloop, which I attend most
years. And I won't be able to make ICNP, P4-EU, or ONS Europe.

Hope that helps...

-N