[P4-discuss] Question about PI and PD

Douglas Litke Douglas_Litke at jabil.com
Fri May 18 09:34:42 EDT 2018

I am confused about what is PI and what is PD
I know PI = Protocol Independent. But what does it do? How is it related to P4Runtime (if it is)?
I understand PD = Protocol Dependent. I assume this is the code that runs on the switch, and controls the ASIC. Correct?

Is there a defined interface between the P4Runtime code that decodes the messages from the Controller, and the code generated by the P4C that controls the ASIC? Or is it all one output?

I have gone through several presentations on P4 and P4Runtime, and have not been able to get a clear picture of the pieces. Maybe I just did not find the correct presentation.

Thanks for your help

Douglas Litke
Principal Design Engineer
 [Jabil logo - reduced]