p4-apps@lists.p4.org

P4 Applications Working Group

View all threads

11/12 Meeting notes

LJ
Lee, Jeongkeun
Sat, Dec 5, 2020 12:30 AM

Attendees: Ramesh S. (Cisco), Mukesh H. (VMware), Jonathan S. (Intel, Deep Insight), Mickey S. (Intel, Barefoot),  JK L. (Intel, E2E App).

1st topic was on generalizing domain-specific 'source-only' metadata.
Members reached a consensus that

  • NIC/host-centric use cases are emerging but not mature. The source-only data for those use cases better start as domain-specific till a set of commonly agreeable metadata identified from multiple use cases and vendors.
  • how each source-only metadata is inserted, consumed, and reported by transit/sink devices is per-domain decision.
  • this PRhttps://github.com/p4lang/p4-applications/pull/87 well summarizes the various aspects in usage/reporting pattern, and it recommends each domain to clearly define them.

Conclusion: good to merge.

2nd/major topic was on INT domain ID concept management. The group agreed upon the 3 roles around domain ID and metadata: producer, consumer and configurator.
AI: JK to create a PRT to update the spec.

We then discussed the proposal from Jonathanhttp://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-apps_lists.p4.org/2020-November/000207.html to carve up the DS ID space. The group agreed to the direction and a need for a registry service that lists a tuple of 1) domain name, 2) ID, and 3) URL pointing to a Yang model describing the associated DS instructions and semantics.
AI: Jonathan to create a PR for the DS ID space mgmt, and check IANA/ONF's willingness to open a new registry for domain IDs.

Mickey proposed a set of metadata semantics defined in the spec, while each domain has a freedom to choose a subset of relevant metadata and assign to its domain-specific bitmap.
AI: Mickey to concretize this proposal and see how Yang model can be support this.

The next meeting will be on Dec 10th (Thur) 11am PT. A meeting invite will be sent out soon.

Thanks,
JK, Mukesh

Attendees: Ramesh S. (Cisco), Mukesh H. (VMware), Jonathan S. (Intel, Deep Insight), Mickey S. (Intel, Barefoot), JK L. (Intel, E2E App). 1st topic was on generalizing domain-specific 'source-only' metadata. Members reached a consensus that * NIC/host-centric use cases are emerging but not mature. The source-only data for those use cases better start as domain-specific till a set of commonly agreeable metadata identified from multiple use cases and vendors. * how each source-only metadata is inserted, consumed, and reported by transit/sink devices is per-domain decision. * this PR<https://github.com/p4lang/p4-applications/pull/87> well summarizes the various aspects in usage/reporting pattern, and it recommends each domain to clearly define them. Conclusion: good to merge. 2nd/major topic was on INT domain ID concept management. The group agreed upon the 3 roles around domain ID and metadata: producer, consumer and configurator. AI: JK to create a PRT to update the spec. We then discussed the proposal from Jonathan<http://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-apps_lists.p4.org/2020-November/000207.html> to carve up the DS ID space. The group agreed to the direction and a need for a registry service that lists a tuple of 1) domain name, 2) ID, and 3) URL pointing to a Yang model describing the associated DS instructions and semantics. AI: Jonathan to create a PR for the DS ID space mgmt, and check IANA/ONF's willingness to open a new registry for domain IDs. Mickey proposed a set of metadata semantics defined in the spec, while each domain has a freedom to choose a subset of relevant metadata and assign to its domain-specific bitmap. AI: Mickey to concretize this proposal and see how Yang model can be support this. The next meeting will be on Dec 10th (Thur) 11am PT. A meeting invite will be sent out soon. Thanks, JK, Mukesh