Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

NF
Nate Foster
Thu, Jun 25, 2020 5:34 PM

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have
now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great
collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like
to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,
Nate and Mihai

Hi folks, Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations. We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. Best wishes, Nate and Mihai
H
hemant@mnkcg.com
Thu, Jun 25, 2020 11:20 PM

Thanks, Nate.

I was running between a few errands during the meeting and missed portions of
the talks.  I listened today to the whole video and added my feedback at the
blog below.

https://mnkcg.com/feedback-on-first-p4-ldwg-brainstorming-meeting/

Best wishes,

Hemant

From: P4-design p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org On Behalf Of Nate Foster
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM
To: p4-design p4-design@lists.p4.org
Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have
now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great
collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to
share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,

Nate and Mihai

Thanks, Nate. I was running between a few errands during the meeting and missed portions of the talks. I listened today to the whole video and added my feedback at the blog below. https://mnkcg.com/feedback-on-first-p4-ldwg-brainstorming-meeting/ Best wishes, Hemant From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org> On Behalf Of Nate Foster Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM To: p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org> Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting Hi folks, Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations. We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. Best wishes, Nate and Mihai
H
hemant@mnkcg.com
Fri, Jun 26, 2020 12:50 AM

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting.

For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has solved the problem roughly one year back.  The solution is our P4-Ansible tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/

The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16.  The tool is free for university use.  If folks are interested, I can have someone from the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting,

Best wishes,

Hemant

From: P4-design p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org On Behalf Of Nate Foster
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM
To: p4-design p4-design@lists.p4.org
Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,

Nate and Mihai

Hi Vladimir, Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting. For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has solved the problem roughly one year back. The solution is our P4-Ansible tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/ The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16. The tool is free for university use. If folks are interested, I can have someone from the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting, Best wishes, Hemant From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org> On Behalf Of Nate Foster Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM To: p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org> Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting Hi folks, Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations. We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. Best wishes, Nate and Mihai
VG
Vladimir Gurevich
Fri, Jun 26, 2020 1:39 AM

Hello Hemant,

It is always fun to learn something new, so I'd be totally up for that.

I looked at the page, but couldn't find any specifics, like how should both
programs look like and what the result is, but I hope you can cover that in
the presentation. Ultimately, the devil is in the details.

However, my point is also that the mechanisms for solving these specific
problems should probably be in the language and not in an external tool.

Thanks,

Vladimir Gurevich**Barefoot Networks
Director, Customer Training and Education/
Technical Director, Customer Engineering
Email: vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com
Phone: (408) 833-4505

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM hemant@mnkcg.com wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting.

For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has
solved the problem roughly one year back.  The solution is our P4-Ansible
tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/

The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16.  The tool is
free for university use.  If folks are interested, I can have someone from
the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting,

Best wishes,

Hemant

From: P4-design p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org *On Behalf Of *Nate
Foster
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM
To: p4-design p4-design@lists.p4.org
Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting
have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great
collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like
to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,

Nate and Mihai

Hello Hemant, It is always fun to learn something new, so I'd be totally up for that. I looked at the page, but couldn't find any specifics, like how should both programs look like and what the result is, but I hope you can cover that in the presentation. Ultimately, the devil is in the details. However, my point is also that the mechanisms for solving these specific problems should probably be in the language and not in an external tool. Thanks, *Vladimir Gurevich**Barefoot Networks* *Director, Customer Training and Education/* *Technical Director, Customer Engineering* Email: vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com Phone: (408) 833-4505 On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM <hemant@mnkcg.com> wrote: > Hi Vladimir, > > > > Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting. > > > > For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has > solved the problem roughly one year back. The solution is our P4-Ansible > tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/ > > > > The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16. The tool is > free for university use. If folks are interested, I can have someone from > the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting, > > > > Best wishes, > > > > Hemant > > > > *From:* P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org> *On Behalf Of *Nate > Foster > *Sent:* Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM > *To:* p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org> > *Subject:* [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting > > > > Hi folks, > > > > Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting > have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: > https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 > > > > Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great > collection of thought-provoking presentations. > > > > We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like > to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. > > > > Best wishes, > > Nate and Mihai >
H
hemant@mnkcg.com
Fri, Jun 26, 2020 1:46 AM

Hi Vladimir,

Indeed, during the presentation, gory details will be provided for how p4-16 was extended.  We will also show the extensions are minor.  The original p4-16 program remains unchanged.  The new program which merges with the old one uses the new extensions.  The tool uses a Python shell and under the overs uses a p4c which has implemented the extensions.

Hemant

From: Vladimir Gurevich vladimir.gurevich@barefootnetworks.com
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:40 PM
To: hemant@mnkcg.com
Cc: Nate Foster jnfoster@cs.cornell.edu; p4-design p4-design@lists.p4.org
Subject: Re: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hello Hemant,

It is always fun to learn something new, so I'd be totally up for that.

I looked at the page, but couldn't find any specifics, like how should both programs look like and what the result is, but I hope you can cover that in the presentation. Ultimately, the devil is in the details.

However, my point is also that the mechanisms for solving these specific problems should probably be in the language and not in an external tool.

Thanks,

Vladimir Gurevich
Barefoot Networks

Director, Customer Training and Education/

Technical Director, Customer Engineering

Email:  mailto:vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com

Phone: (408) 833-4505

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM <hemant@mnkcg.com mailto:hemant@mnkcg.com > wrote:

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting.

For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has solved the problem roughly one year back.  The solution is our P4-Ansible tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/

The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16.  The tool is free for university use.  If folks are interested, I can have someone from the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting,

Best wishes,

Hemant

From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org mailto:p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org > On Behalf Of Nate Foster
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM
To: p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org mailto:p4-design@lists.p4.org >
Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,

Nate and Mihai

Hi Vladimir, Indeed, during the presentation, gory details will be provided for how p4-16 was extended. We will also show the extensions are minor. The original p4-16 program remains unchanged. The new program which merges with the old one uses the new extensions. The tool uses a Python shell and under the overs uses a p4c which has implemented the extensions. Hemant From: Vladimir Gurevich <vladimir.gurevich@barefootnetworks.com> Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:40 PM To: hemant@mnkcg.com Cc: Nate Foster <jnfoster@cs.cornell.edu>; p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org> Subject: Re: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting Hello Hemant, It is always fun to learn something new, so I'd be totally up for that. I looked at the page, but couldn't find any specifics, like how should both programs look like and what the result is, but I hope you can cover that in the presentation. Ultimately, the devil is in the details. However, my point is also that the mechanisms for solving these specific problems should probably be in the language and not in an external tool. Thanks, Vladimir Gurevich Barefoot Networks Director, Customer Training and Education/ Technical Director, Customer Engineering Email: <mailto:vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com> vgurevich@barefootnetworks.com Phone: (408) 833-4505 On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM <hemant@mnkcg.com <mailto:hemant@mnkcg.com> > wrote: Hi Vladimir, Thanks for bringing up the problems to the meeting. For the modular P4 you asked of in slides 7-8, MNK Labs & Consulting has solved the problem roughly one year back. The solution is our P4-Ansible tool – see https://mnkcg.com/products/p4-ansible/ The tool has been developed with minor extensions to P4-16. The tool is free for university use. If folks are interested, I can have someone from the company present our extensions in the next brainstorm meeting, Best wishes, Hemant From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org <mailto:p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org> > On Behalf Of Nate Foster Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM To: p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org <mailto:p4-design@lists.p4.org> > Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting Hi folks, Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations. We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. Best wishes, Nate and Mihai
H
hemant@mnkcg.com
Sat, Jun 27, 2020 6:35 PM

Folks,

I see Mihai has updated the wiki with copious notes.  Thanks, Mihai.

I have asked for struct as an action parameter few years back in p4c.  In fact, I have used a struct as action parameter in a private version of p4c and its backend for an asic since 2017.  We should change p4c because it’s not a large change.

Hemant

From: P4-design p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org On Behalf Of Nate Foster
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM
To: p4-design p4-design@lists.p4.org
Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting

Hi folks,

Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020

Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations.

We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal.

Best wishes,

Nate and Mihai

Folks, I see Mihai has updated the wiki with copious notes. Thanks, Mihai. I have asked for struct as an action parameter few years back in p4c. In fact, I have used a struct as action parameter in a private version of p4c and its backend for an asic since 2017. We should change p4c because it’s not a large change. Hemant From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces@lists.p4.org> On Behalf Of Nate Foster Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:34 PM To: p4-design <p4-design@lists.p4.org> Subject: [P4-design] Materials from Monday's brainstorming meeting Hi folks, Slides and a video recording of Monday's P4 LDWG Brainstorming meeting have now been posted on the p4-spec Wiki: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/wiki/LDWG-Brainstorming,-June-22,-2020 Thanks to Stefan, Tom, Steve, and Vladimir for putting together a great collection of thought-provoking presentations. We'll do this again next month -- tentatively on July 20th. If you'd like to share an idea, please write to us with a talk proposal. Best wishes, Nate and Mihai