p4-dev@lists.p4.org

list for questions/discussion of p4 programs and tools

View all threads

Pronto & Aether nodes

hemant@mnkcg.com
Wed, Dec 9, 2020 11:43 PM

Folks,

For 5G cellular Pronto & Aether projects, which open-source are we using
for:

  1. UPF running on server machine?  Is it
    https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc ?
  2. UPF running on Tofino switch?

Thanks,

Hemant

Folks, For 5G cellular Pronto & Aether projects, which open-source are we using for: 1. UPF running on server machine? Is it https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc ? 2. UPF running on Tofino switch? Thanks, Hemant
CC
Carmelo Cascone
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 3:17 AM

Hi Hermant,

Aether supports both.

For more information, I recommend asking on the official Aether channels:
https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether

In case you are wondering, the implementation based on P4 and Tofino is currently in the "Incubation Phase" under the ONF Member-Only Software License. As such, access to the code is available to ONF members only.

Carmelo

UPF running on server machine?  Is it https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc ?
UPF running on Tofino switch?

Thanks,

Hemant

P4-dev mailing list
P4-dev@lists.p4.org mailto:P4-dev@lists.p4.org

Hi Hermant, Aether supports both. For more information, I recommend asking on the official Aether channels: https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether <https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether> In case you are wondering, the implementation based on P4 and Tofino is currently in the "Incubation Phase" under the ONF Member-Only Software License. As such, access to the code is available to ONF members only. Carmelo > On Dec 9, 2020, at 3:43 PM, Hemant Singh via P4-dev <p4-dev@lists.p4.org> wrote: > > Folks, > > For 5G cellular Pronto & Aether projects, which open-source are we using for: > > UPF running on server machine? Is it https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc <https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc> ? > UPF running on Tofino switch? > > Thanks, > > Hemant > > > _______________________________________________ > P4-dev mailing list > P4-dev@lists.p4.org <mailto:P4-dev@lists.p4.org> > http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-dev_lists.p4.org <http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-dev_lists.p4.org>
hemant@mnkcg.com
Sat, Dec 12, 2020 4:31 PM

Carmelo,

Thanks - your reply helps a lot.

Incidentally, the upf-epc does not support IPv6 - it would be good to add
IPv6 to it.  Also, I am not clear on the Aether network topology.  For
example, is the network an IPv6-only network with NAT64 at the edge?  Also,
a few UPF's will have to connect to a router.  If ONF uses all open-source,
what router will one use? I think, it's just better to use one from a router
vendor.

Hemant

mailto:p4-dev@lists.p4.org > wrote:

Folks,

For 5G cellular Pronto & Aether projects, which open-source are we using
for:

  1. UPF running on server machine?  Is it
    https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc
    https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc ?
  2. UPF running on Tofino switch?

Thanks,

Hemant

P4-dev mailing list
mailto:P4-dev@lists.p4.org P4-dev@lists.p4.org

Carmelo, Thanks - your reply helps a lot. Incidentally, the upf-epc does not support IPv6 - it would be good to add IPv6 to it. Also, I am not clear on the Aether network topology. For example, is the network an IPv6-only network with NAT64 at the edge? Also, a few UPF's will have to connect to a router. If ONF uses all open-source, what router will one use? I think, it's just better to use one from a router vendor. Hemant From: Carmelo Cascone <carmelo@opennetworking.org> Sent: Friday, December 11, 2020 10:17 PM To: hemant@mnkcg.com Cc: p4-dev@lists.p4.org Subject: Re: [P4-dev] Pronto & Aether nodes Hi Hermant, Aether supports both. For more information, I recommend asking on the official Aether channels: <https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether> https://wiki.opennetworking.org/display/COM/Aether In case you are wondering, the implementation based on P4 and Tofino is currently in the "Incubation Phase" under the ONF Member-Only Software License. As such, access to the code is available to ONF members only. Carmelo On Dec 9, 2020, at 3:43 PM, Hemant Singh via P4-dev <p4-dev@lists.p4.org <mailto:p4-dev@lists.p4.org> > wrote: Folks, For 5G cellular Pronto & Aether projects, which open-source are we using for: 1. UPF running on server machine? Is it <https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc> https://github.com/omec-project/upf-epc ? 2. UPF running on Tofino switch? Thanks, Hemant _______________________________________________ P4-dev mailing list <mailto:P4-dev@lists.p4.org> P4-dev@lists.p4.org <http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-dev_lists.p4.org> http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-dev_lists.p4.org